Core scripture: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Message: Summer provides a different schedule for all of us, and for me that means working about 10 hours a week for Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA). Last week I was reading through The Core: 8 Essentials to Strengthen Your Faith, and chapter 5 really stuck out to me. I learned about a Bible study method called PRESS that I would love to share with you today.
Once you open your Bible to find the perfect passage to read, follow the PRESS acronym below:
- Prayer: This one is a no-brainer, but before going to God’s word, we should always pray. What do you pray for? Anything really. Sing His praises, and ask for wisdom on how to analyze the passage you are about to read.
- Read: Read through the scripture at least twice. Highlight any words or phrases that stand out to you. Journal about any questions or emotions you have as you read the passage.
- Examine: Think about the following questions either by journaling or discussing it with a partner or small group. “What do I need to know about God, myself and others? What do I need to change in my thoughts, attitudes, or actions? What do I need to do in obedience to God’s leading?” (The CORE, 45).
- Summarize: Journal or discuss a quick summary of what you read. You can write down the main points or summarize what God was saying to you.
- Share: This is one we typically forget. Who would benefit from hearing your thoughts? Maybe a Christian brother or sister needs to be encouraged. Maybe your unchurched neighbor would benefit from hearing. Whomever it is, share what God taught you.
Pretty simple, right? Simple yet powerful. I hope this Bible study method provides you with some tools to help you digest His Word.
Challenge: Read Psalm 139 and use the PRESS method to analyze it. This was the scripture that I used last week to practice PRESS.
Just for fun: My 9-year-old son was fixing calzones for supper last week. When he looked at the package, he exclaimed in shock, “Calzone? I always thought it was cow zone!”
Prayer: Lord, help me continue to use your Word to press on through life. Amen.